NESTER HOUSE/RIVERPLACE --Placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. The lot was purchased in 1841 and is built from local sandstone. The building has been a grocery store/residence/hotel/museum and many other types of establishments. It was remodeled in 1863 after a flue fire. The original owner had a tunnel dug from the cellar to a barn two blocks north into Troy. This served as a link on the Underground Railroad system and many slaves found safe harbor here. The tunnel was filled in in the 1960's. The home was completely remodeled after purchased in 1998 by Jim and Joyce (Boerste) Efinger. The three-story home had three coal-burning fireplaces. The house has been known as 'Heinzle Family Grocery', 'Bauer's', 'Nester Hotel', 'Nester House', 'Old and New Union Hotel', 'Riverfront Hotel' and now 'RIVERPLACE'. It is currently owned by Dan Hayden and Jane Efinger-Hayden.
CHRIST OF THE OHIO --The statue arrived on
Fulton Hill in 1956. It is 18 feet tall. It was commissioned by Dr. Nicholas James and sculpted by Herbert Jogurst, a German WWII prisoner of war held in Kentucky.
It continues to serve as an
inspiration to rivermen and boaters.
TROY BOAT DOCK --Troy has public access to the beautiful Ohio River via our boat ramp/dock. This is one of the nicest and largest access sites in the county with beautiful views and ample parking.
Construction underway at the Riverfront on a new mini-park. (8/9/16)
ABRAHAM S. FULTON HISTORICAL MARKER --The marker reads, "ABRAHAM S. FULTON brother of Robert Fulton inventor of the steamboat is buried in Troy Cemetery near this spot. He was fatally injured while felling trees to build the family home on the site called Fulton Hill. The Fulton Family owned extensive acreage in Perry County. They bought the land from Nicholas J Roosevelt about 1811. Nicholas J. Roosevelt commanded the first craft propelled by steam upon Western waters, the New Orleans built after Fulton's model. This boat stopped at Troy, one of the few fueling sites along the Ohio River." The cemetery marker reads,
"ABRAHAM S. FULTON DIED 1813 BROTHER OF ROBERT FULTON"
ABRAHAM LINCOLN --The people of Troy and vacinity are proud that they could share a bit in the life of the Great Emancipator, Abraham Lincoln, who became the 16th President of the United States. The Town of Troy was quite an attraction for Abe as he had always lived in the backwoods and was never near a village. At that time there were about 20 log houses in Troy. At every opportunity Abe would go up to Troy. He often went to the post office where he could read the newspapers. The custom in those days was that a newspaper was always sent to the post office so the local people could stop in and read it and learn the news. He would also loaf at the Bates store and Williams tavern. During the time Abe was in this vicinity he worked for McDaniel, Porter and Taylor. Tradition tells us that once when Abe was at Troy to fetch the mail a terrible storm came up and it was necessary for him to stay overnight at the home of Vivion Daniel, the postmaster. Lincoln was fascinated by the clog dancing that the slaves did at Troy while waiting for their masters who were trading. It was at Troy that these slaves taught the dance to Lincoln and he delighted to show-off the dance wherever he went. At age 17 Lincoln made his first flatboat trip with Jefferson Ray, and later made other trips for James Taylor and James Gentry, Sr. All of these trips had their origin below Troy at Anderson Creek. In later years while in conversation with John C. Shoemaker, Abe Lincoln related to him that he at one time in the 20's attended school at Troy and his teacher was Adam Shoemaker, II. From the above you can learn that Abe Lincoln was well acquainted with Troy pioneers as he lived and worked with them in his early age. It is at Troy he learned of the Fultons, Roosevelts and Lafayette. Many of the pioneers who knew him personally, such as the Taylors, Bates, Connors, Wrights, Greathouses, Daniels, McDaniels, Huffmans and many others, now rest in the Troy City Cemetery. Troy still has distant relatives of these people who have heard their grandparents tell about this great president. In memory of this great man, in 1942 there was established a recreation park at the mouth of the Anderson River, near where first he touched Indiana soil and where he operated a ferry. Very few people realize it but it was in 1841 and again in 1844 that Lincoln was again in this section of Perry and Spencer Counties, delivering campaign speeches.
--The History of Troy, Indiana/Memorial Edition by Frank Baertich
Water Street, Troy-circa 1955.
Picture courtesy of Teresa Kanneberg
ATTENTION ALL TROY RESIDENTS :
GREAT NEWS!!! PSC IS BRINGING FIBER OPTICS TO TROY!!! IF YOU MISSED THE OPEN HOUSE ON MAY 10TH, CALL THE PSC OFFICE AT 1-800-511-4899 TO SEE ABOUT YOUR INTERNET, PHONE LINE(S) AND TV CONNECTIONS!!!
MEET OUR STAFF!
Charlie Ehrlich- -
Laira Bolin- -Bookkeeper
Nathan Gehlhausen--Town Marshall
No Photo Available
Website created and maintained by Jane Efinger-Hayden